Friday, December 02, 2005

Fairy Tales

Sitting with my brother over the Thanksgiving weekend was interesting. I mean, we played God of War for the majority of the time, but we also bonded while playing. We used to do that all the time when we were kids. One of us would play while the other navigated or thought up some way to pass the level we were in to get ahead. God of War is one of the few games we agreed we liked and we also liked being able to take turns playing the thing. One thing that interested both my brother and my dad was how the game's characters were simply taken out of the myths of the Greeks and haphazardly played with. Gorgons abound as do weird lizard creatures and the dead warriors of Ares, the God of War, who, I have to admit, is pretty damn impressive when you first see him from afar. He's what a god should have been movies and cartoons, towering over the puny humans and crushing them under his heels. I also like the fact that he destroys a bunch of people by scooping them up and hurtling them at the city's walls.
What I wound up doing was giving my brother and my dad a myth lesson that spilt over into the fairy tales we grew up with. I even showed both of them a book called the Green Book of Fairytales my girlfriend happened to pick up at a Border's for like three bucks. Then began the whole conversation about the fairytales in the Dark Tower, especially since my dad finally finished book 7.
To my amazement he actually liked the final book. He thought the 'happy ending' was okay, but he liked the Real Ending even better. He said that it seemed right and it should have ended that way. I was surprised my dad actually said that. I thought he would have loved the 'happy' one and hated the real one, but he didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home